California Board Company was founded in 2008 by Scott Burke and Mark Kelly, two waterman enthusiasts who have been in the industry for over 30 years. Along with their two China business/manufacturing partners, Charlie Shen and Michael Shen, California Board Company set out to lead the industry with an eye on new and innovative manufacturing techniques, adding board enhancements to improve the rider’s experience. Many of the CBC enhancements are now industry standards. They named the parent company Keeper Sports Products and produce two flagship brands, California Board Company and Scott Burke. They have also added sub brands to the product line. Not only does Keeper construct the boards with superior materials to build high performance boards, the boards are affordable for all who participate in the sport or are just learning. Some of the break through innovations the Keeper team has brought to the sport of Stand Up Paddleboarding :
- First to include a bungee gear storage system on the SUP deck
- First to design an off center our carrying handle to allow for short and longer arms to easily carry the board
- First to include a roof rack to full package boards allowing consumers to carry the board on all kinds of vehicles including sedans.
- First to provide Edge Guard rubber edging around the perimeter of our paddle blade to protect the blade from rocks and other hard substances
- First to add a universal Camera Mount to the nose of our boards
- First to add Side Kick fins, 2 smaller fiberglass fins to our standard center fin design, to allow for MUCH better control when surfing waves in the ocean
- First to add a reinforced plastic tail cap protector, protecting the vulnerable tail of the board when it’s being stood up in parking lots or rocky surfaces at the beach
- First to add a nose cap protector in some models
- First to add EVA foam deck traction to the deck of some models.
- First to design a V-Hull at the nose of our 11’ racing and fishing models
- First to add a Rod & Gear Rack to our 10’ foam board for fisherman
- First to provide a molded seat and fishing pole holder to our foam SUP (Voyager SUP/Kayak Crossover)
- First to add foot wells and a seat pad for to our foam for our cross over SUP/Kayak model
Since their earlier days, KSP has continued to add staff to their team consisting of designers, innovators and enthusiasts who assist in keeping Keeper Sports Products a leading contributor of many more firsts in our industry for many years to come. Along with our commitment to quality and performance we have added other great products for enjoyment in and out of the water.